I was one of 10,000 people who listened to Al Gore give his comments on the environment and our responsibilities as individuals. I went to the event anticipating sheer and utter boredom, as Mr. Gore has never been much of a public speaker. The thought of sitting through a couple hours of his historic droning on and on and on made me look anxiously for my next dental examination.
Mr. Gore presented a witty and very informative mulit-hour information and education monologue. And quite frankly, it was great. His passion and growing stature as a statesman was unusual to watch. His handling of his side of the debate was, as expected, very refined. He knew what he was doing. What I found especially interesting was his handle on his opposition's comments. He knew his enemy.
Also, I've never thought of Mr. Gore as a particularly physically impressive man, but he was. Much more confident in his older age, he dominated the stage at the Taco Bell Arena.
Did I agree with all that he said? Heavens no. But let's examine the things that I did agree with him on:
- We believe environmental stewardship is a biblical mandate and commission from God.
- All of God’s creation is important to Him, down to the last sparrow and blade of grass.
- We have wrongfully assumed that creation exists for our own consumption.
- It is the responsibility of every true citizen to take stewardship seriously, and that includes environmental stewardship.
- This is an issue for all faiths, beginning with whatever you believe.
- This is a matter of personal responsibility- beginning at your home.
- There is no political party ownership of the environment.
I'd like you to visit www.letstendthegarden.org and see a conservative Christian approach to environmental stewardship by the Vineyard Boise.In particular I would like you to consider purchasing Tri Robinson's book Saving God's Green Earth.
I always ask people who have not yet met me to give me the benefit of a personal meeting. I failed my own request when it came to Al Gore. 10,000 people- a personal meeting? Nah. Yet you could see Mr. Gore's sincerity and willingness to go out on the hustings. That's pretty impressive.
I hope you can see my sincerity as well. I listened and learned. Can't beat that.